Dala's Leaf buildthread (2015 Nissan Leaf)

Omien autoprojektien esittely.
Sammyboi
SUPPORTER
SUPPORTER

Re: Dala's Leaf buildthread (2015 Nissan Leaf)

Post by Sammyboi » 23. Jan 2019 08:44

Dala wrote:
22. Jan 2019 12:21
I now have some capacity numbers to share, and time to make a decision.
Test, 5Amp discharge, from 4.1V -> 3.3V
USA cell: 39,77Ah
Italy cell: 43,30Ah

So presuming I have an USA cell from the same batch, If I upgrade to the Italy cell, I'd get a 9% range increase! I could also try looking for better cells, but most people just sell untested cells :/ Hmm...
Well that is truly a bummer..

There aren't that many wreckers around in Finland either, where you could go and test them yourself. You seem like a handy guy so make do and fit both of them :P

Really nice going through the troubleshooting. I have no clue about the procedures for these cars so this is definitely educational. Keep your head high!

Dala
NORMAL USER
NORMAL USER

Post by Dala » 10. Feb 2019 13:08

Status update on the Leaf!

I assembled the OpenEVSE unit. Now I need to decide where I mount it. I will most likely make it open to the public on all charging apps, since it probably goes in the middle of nowhere :D

We have also had a fair bit of snow in Vaasa :D

Due to the shitty weather, I decided to get some proper snowtires instead of the all-season ones that came with the car.

I settled on "Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3"
in the format: 205/55 R 16 94 R XL

This is the tyre that Nokian primarily recommends for electric cars, since it's a low rolling resistance and wont impact the range. On the sticker they are branded as B on the economy gauge. The efficiency step between A - B - C goes something like 100% - 97% - 90%, so there is a huge benefit from stepping up from C to B. From B to A the 3% efficiency step is not as noticeable.

Dala
NORMAL USER
NORMAL USER

Post by Dala » 27. Mar 2019 15:30

I'm in the local paper!

I'm currently in the process of starting up my own company, aiming to be the first in Finland to offer 3rd party EV battery service/swap/upgrades. It's gonna be a wild ride! :)

Tuopponen
SUPPORTER
SUPPORTER

Post by Tuopponen » 28. Mar 2019 07:42

Good luck with the new business!
I think that you will made it, it's a right time for that kind of business. :thumbsup:
-Honda Civic EJ8 -97 B18C Projekti/Kesäauto
-Honda Civic MB6 -97 B16A1 tekeillä
-Honda Civic EP3 -04 Käyttis
IG: _sami_t

Dala
NORMAL USER
NORMAL USER

Post by Dala » 01. Apr 2019 16:15

I went and added the garage to the Plugshare map, in-case someone is close to getting stranded in the middle of the Kvarken world-heritage archipelago :D

It sure is an EV dead-zone out here :D

Dala
NORMAL USER
NORMAL USER

Post by Dala » 26. Apr 2019 20:46

So, now that the weather is getting warmer, it is way more inviting to work on the car. First order of business, getting the undercoating tiptop.

This is what the stock rear wheel-well looks like

Not very protective at all, when you run on gravel roads, the noise is awful when it slings small pebbles straight on the metal inner arch. So, I de-greased it, brushed it, rinsed it, let it dry, and applied some rust coating with a brush. It also doubles as sound deadener!

One done, three more to go :D

Oh, and for my EV Repair company, I bought this essential tool, the 'EVs Enhanced HV Battery Paring Tool'

Now I can swap batteries properly between cars :)

And if anyone is interested in following my FB page for my business (mods please remove if inappropriate ;) ) https://www.facebook.com/DalasEVrepair/

My end goal is to be able to sell battery upgrades, something Nissan has decided that older cars won't get at all!

Dala
NORMAL USER
NORMAL USER

Post by Dala » 29. Apr 2019 20:12

Another Sunday, now both rear wheelwells are protected against the elements.

Dala
NORMAL USER
NORMAL USER

Post by Dala » 13. May 2019 21:25

Soo, the Leaf developed a leak... quite a big one too! Not so fun to see it drip from the side airbag :D

Tore the interior apart to investigate, it leaks on the top part

Spread the rubber gasket with zipties, blowdried it

Applied lots of clear silicone, let's see if it holds. If not, the windscreen needs to be resealed. Fingers crossed for an easy fix :)

Started working on the looks. The front of this car is really "froggy". Eyelids should help the look quite significantly. Started by removing the rear piece, not used for anything.

Wrapped the rear piece. Still need to wrap a slight amount on the upper headlight too, but let's see how the material hold up. It had a slight purple color, would have liked matt black more. Ohwell, I will iterate as I go

Then I focused my attention to something more fun. The horn! On all the Leafs, the horn is pathetic. It sounds like a toy car. Lets fix that!

Started by removing the front splash shield, peeking up on the horn assembly from under the car

Here is the stock Denso unit, compared to a 1991 Nissan NX horn setup. I really like 90s Nissans, so it felt like a perfect choice. The same horn setup is found in the S13 afaik!

Horns mounted. The horns ground via the mounting bolt, so had to fashion a wiring adapter. Note the one pin that's not needed anymore.

Here's a comparison

Dala
NORMAL USER
NORMAL USER

Post by Dala » 16. May 2019 12:36

The Man-in-the-middle attack CAN prototype boards from Muxsan arrived today. This thread is going to get quite technical soon...

Dala
NORMAL USER
NORMAL USER

Post by Dala » 23. May 2019 21:32

Now something completely different.

My friend Johan was bitten by the 3d-printing bug, and I am so intrigued! I searched thingiverse for a J1772 holder, and found this simple design:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2481870

So I sent him a message, and little over an hour later, a prototype was printed.

Started

Finished

I was told this was a really fast prototype (Layer-height was 0.3mm), and if I wanted a better looking one it would take roughly 4.5h to print one. I am so excited by such a small piece of plastic :D Thanks Johan :)